The Event: Acceso Canada 2007: tour of Spanish wine producers looking for
agents and distribution in Ontario. Sponsored by the Economic and Commercial
Office of the Embassy of Spain.
The Venue: Roof lounge, Park Hyatt Hotel
The Target Audience: wine press, sommeliers, restaurants, trade.
The Availability/Catalogue: very informative booklet, with all the relevant
data of names and addresses, labels, background text, etc. But no FOB
The Quote: "There are some nice wines here, but few to compete against
existing wines at the LCBO Vintages"
The Wines: 19 wineries had presentations.
**** Four Stars (90 - 93):
- Bodegas Bleda Divus Monastrell 2005 Jumilla (FOB 7 Euros)
- Bodegas San Isidro Sabatcha Syrah 2006 (2.5 Euros)
- La Coleccion Tenere Crianza 2004 Rioja (4.2 Euros)
- Bodegas Franco-Espanolas Baron d'Anglade Reserva 2001 Rioja ($40 in
- Bodegas del Medievo MDV 2004 Rioja (100% graciano) (12 Euros)
- Liberalia Enologica Cuatro 2003 Toro (5.53 Euros)
- Bodegas Marques de Velilla Doncel de Mataperras 2004 Ribera del Duero
*** Three Stars (86 - 89)
- Bodegas Bleda Castillo de Jumilla Crianza 2004 (FOB 3 Euros)
- Bodegas San Isidro Genus Monastrell/Syrah NV (3 Euros)
- Bodegas Franco-Espanolas Rioja Bordon Gran Reserva 1999 ($25 in Quebec)
- Rosalia de Castro Paco & Lola Albarino 2005 Rias Baixas (5 Euros)
- Adegas Moure Fuga Mencia 2006 Ribeira Sacra (3.21 Euros)
- Abadia de Acon Crianza 2003 Ribera del Duero (7.9 Euros)
The Food: roast beef, lobster (but only a few white table wines were
offered), crab cakes, cheeses, breads, etc.
The Downside: several producers were coy about FOB prices. I needed them for
a marker of quality/price ratios.
The Upside: a good cross-section of wines which are available on the export
market, and an indicator of where Spain is at right now.
The Contact Person: email@example.com
The Effectiveness (numerical grade): 89.